Mentoring Program Goals
The goal of the SCCYI Mentoring Program is to provide the youth of Swift Current and surrounding area with a positive and supportive influence that is able to put in the time and effort to build into the future of our youth. It is our hope that the youth who receive mentoring will learn the life skills necessary to be positive members of society and have access to the resources and supports necessary to succeed.
As a mentor, you are a trusted adult friend to your mentee. This means that role is to empower the youth by listening to their opinions and letting them make some choices so long as safety is not compromised.
A mentor is also a positive role model. A positive role model demonstrates how to make decisions and respond to different life situations. A positive role model sets an example more by actions than they do words.
Mentors are nurturer’s of possibilities. Mentors are given the opportunity to help their mentee develop their strengths. As a mentor you can be a positive support and provide continuous encouragement as your mentee develops.
If you are interested in becoming a mentor, contact the Center for more information.
Process to Becoming a Mentor:
- Complete an Application form and bring it in to The Center – we’d love to meet you!
- Vulnerable Sector check is needed. We will provide a letter for you to take to the local RCMP detachment to get it free of cost.
- Read and understand Policies in Handbook. Handbook will be provided for you after submission of the application.
- In-person interview with the Executive Director and Program Administrator.
- Complete Online Training – 2 to 3 hours long
- Sign Confidentiality and Mentoring Agreement form
After the process is complete, we will work to match you with a mentee. This process includes a meeting with the parents/guardians of the mentee and The Center staff.